In Conversation with Carmen Best: A Fireside Chat
Thank you to all who joined us on Wednesday, December 1, in-person or virtually, for a fireside chat between Carmen Best, author of ‘Black in Blue: Lessons on Leadership, Breaking Barriers, and Racial Reconciliation,' and Commission Chair Michelle Merriweather, President and CEO of the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle.
We want to extend our deepest thanks to Carmen Best for joining the Commission and sharing intimate insights into her personal and professional journeys. The Commission also wants to extend our thanks to Carlos Imani and his team at The Elite Collective for lending their expertise to hosting a phenomenal live-stream production that brought the conversation to our virtual audience. And finally, we would like to thank Veronica Very, founder of Wonder of Women, and her husband, artist, and co-founder Hiawatha D. for hosting us at the WOW Gallery Experience in Downtown Seattle – an art gallery, celebration of Black womanhood, and healing space designed for immersion and reflection.
Best is the former Police Chief of the Seattle Police Department, and in her new book she recounts her time in service, her struggles and decision-making, and lessons learned from navigating racism and sexism in a traditionally White male-dominated system and encountering other challenging situations throughout her life and leadership.
During the conversation, Best shared about her leadership journey, the community and mentors that supported her and rallied behind her, and her insights for young women leaders who seek to create change. Hosted at the WOW Gallery amongst an audience of Black women and women of color that have been her friends, mentors, and allies over the years, Best emphasized the importance of planting deep roots in community and strengthening connections for both professional and personal accountability and support.
"None of us are successful on our own," she said. "Everyone relies on other people at some point to help you, to lift you up. And the good part of that is that is gives you the opportunity to help others, and lift them up."
Rewatch the Event
If you missed the event, you can rewatch the video here:
- Please purchase Carmen Best's new book, 'Black in Blue: Lessons on Leadership, Breaking Barriers, and Racial Reconciliation,' at your local Black-owned, women-owned, or family-owned bookstore!
- You can order today from these black-owned independent bookstores in a list that LitHub has compiled.
- For a list of Black-owned bookstores by state, visit Oprah's website.
- Read more about and plan your visit to the WOW Gallery and experience its hospitality, healing, and celebration of Black love and womanhood. Take a virtual tour here.
- To book Carlos Imani and his team at The Elite Collective, visit their website at www.theelitecollective.com, or make inquiries directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.